Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Walrus and I

  I moved to Halifax about a year and a half ago, trust me reinventing your life at 35 years old 'ain't no easy business'.  Within the first week in my, at the time, powerless apartment I had caught on my battery operated radio a promo show, CKDU 88.1 (Halifax Is Burning), for a compilation cassette two night release party, which I obviously had to go to and was floored by the awesomeness of the local indie psych scene!


   The group that stood out for me the most was Walrus.  As the months passed, I enjoyed the new majesty of the unfamiliar landscape, and the anomie drenched loneliness of being in a new city.  Wherever I was in life there was always a show coming up to confirm or uplift my spirits.  Going to see Walrus quickly became part of my lifestyle, from totally embarrassing drunken debauched bafoonery to screaming like a teenage girl delighted joy!


  As a total music fanatic it's been beyond fun and fascinating to watch Walrus transform themselves from a pretty damn great band to this fucking incredible juggernaut, their mix of indie 60's psych pop with east coast Eric's Trip-esque punk rock is nothing short of brilliant.  With every show they get tighter and better then the last ... at the time you'd think it's near impossible, until they come on and burn the house down!



  Their album isn't even out yet but I can't wait to wrap my dirty little paws around the record I've been anticipating for almost two years!  Thanks guys for the good times and inadvertently being the soundtrack to my new beginnings!

Photos by: Jon Irvine *miss ya buddy! (He's not dead or anything, he just moved!)

No comments: