Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Desmond Dekker -- Black and Dekker

  Ok I put this album on, it opens with Israelites it starts like the original but then the band kicks in, and I, out of shock, had to toss the needle right off the record.  Before you get you're panties all in a bunch here's the deal, this record is a 1980 comeback album on Stiff records, so instead of rocksteady it's ska, but that was the popular genre in his field at the time.  At first I thought it was a best of album because it featured a slew of his hits tunes, but nooooo, they're terribly updated versions of the old songs.  After hearing the new Israelites I was ready to give up on the record entirely, it was that bad, but I gave it a second chance, and two numbers were pretty good, It Mek and Why Fight.  From what I hear Dekker was backed by The Rumour, a sh*tty new wave rock band, and Akrylykz  (what the hell does that mean??) a ska band, I can only assume that the two good tracks were recorded with the ska band.  Other than that I can't recommend to get this one, just get the old stuff with the original songs, because most of these versions, well, suck, the big one!

No comments: