Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Supremes -- More Hits

  When I first got this record I thought it was a follow-up compilation because of the album's title.  I was wrong, they're insinuating that their songs from previous albums were all hits (which isn't too far from the truth, at the time they sold as well as the Beatles), and that all the songs from this album are hits as well, hence they'd be More Hits.  I can't help but love the smooth sultry sound of the Supremes, every record is as good as the last.  This album consists mostly of arranged ballads, which are all nice, especially Whisper You Love Me Boy, but I do find More Hits lacks the pumpin' Motown soul sound I look for.  The closest we get to it is in Stop! In The Name Of Love, but seriously, it hardly does it for me.  Don't get me wrong, the team of Holland-Dozier-Holland, made another brilliantly arranged record, they hardly ever miss their mark.  The Supremes go on to make more and More Hits -- but when did they not!

No comments: